Thursday, August 6, 2009

WPA Poster Assignment

Assignment #4: WPA Poster

The Works Progress Administration (WPA) was the largest New Deal agency created by Franklin Roosevelt during the Great Depression. The goal of the WPA was to employ most unemployed Americans on relief until the economy recovered. For many out-of-work artists and illustrators, that frequently meant creating posters for various local and governmental causes.

I’m attaching a folder with several images of WPA created posters. Your job is to pick one of the topics and create a modern version of that poster. You should use the same logo or phrase in the original poster (for the ones with longer phrases and extra details, you only have to use the main phrase). You can use hand-drawn or computer generated type, just make sure that your type feels cohesive with your imagery and composition.

Media: Full-color, although material is your choice.

Size: 18 x 24 inches
_______________________________________________________

For this assignment I took a simple water color of some trees, cropped it, reflected it and added some colored corners to jazz it up. Type and Design with it is always a challenge, I really never know if what I am doing looks good or not, but I tried my best to make it visually appealing. Overall I liked the way it turned out.

original:
Final:

No comments:

Post a Comment